Yummy Taco Pepper Poppers
This recipe reminds me of stuff peppers, but made into a snack or appetizer size.
- 20 Small (bite-sized) Assorted Peppers- *From CSA
- 6-8 Roma Tomatoes- *From CSA
- 1lb- Ground Turkey
- 1 clove- garlic minced
- 1 onion- sweet- chopped *From CSA
- 1 package- Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup- Cheddar Cheese- shredded
- Sour Cream for dipping (optional)
Prep time: 25 minutes; Oven time: 15 minutes
Yields: 40 poppers
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes and peppers
- Cut the peppers in half to make boats (see image). Place the peppers on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Once your water is boiling, place tomatoes in. Keep tomatoes in the water for 2-3 minutes (until you see the skin start to split and wrinkle.
- Remove the tomatoes and place them in a bowl of ice water to cool them.
- Remove the peels and chop the tomatoes
- Place onions, garlic, ground turkey, and tomatoes in skillet.
- Cook over medium until turkey is browned and onions have softened.
- Add taco seasoning and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Scoop turkey mixture into pepper boats.
- Place pepper poppers into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes (or until peppers have reached your desired ‘doneness’…I like mine a bit crunchy)
- Take peppers out of the oven and garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream.
**I left my sour cream in a container on the side for dipping. If you would like to drizzle the sour cream over your poppers, simply mix a small amount of water with your sour cream to thin it.